White has always been my favorite color. I seldom need a reason to wear white, but, I had to kick start summer in this airy white dress. What better than white to beat the heat. Since, it was a graduation brunch (hence, a younger vibe) I wore this to, I choose these shoes to add some spunk to the otherwise feminine ensemble.
White comes with trouble and lots of it. It is difficult to maintain, not practical because of its transparecy, makes one look bigger and paler than they are. Right? Wrong.
White, like any other color has to be worn right. Versatility and splendour of a white outfit is hard to beat. Follow this simple guide to not only buy more whites, but also to put your best foot forward in them!
Checklist for white outfits
- Check the transparency of the outfit: Place your hand behind the fabric, wear it and check against light. That's the cardinal rule for buying any white clothing. If it comes with a lining, it is a hassle free pick.
- Try white for formal wear: This white blazer beats well-tailored navys and greys. While choosing white for formal wear, stick to a sharp cut and a heavy fabric.
- Choose the right fabric: Natural fabrics like linen and cotton have a better fall (especially in white) than clingy polyester or nylon.
- Choose YOUR white: Bright whites suit olive to dark skin tones, while cream and off-white suits pale skin tones. Try different whites until you figure out which shade suits you best. Pale skin toned women can also carry off white better by choosing outfits that have a different shade along the neckline and sleeves. Checkout this, this and this.
- Shoes:You will most likely have more than one pair that matches your white dress. Choose your shoes according to the occasion. Go for gold for more formal occasions, browns and earthy shades for a walking filled day, and, brighter colors for a fun evening out.